Blue Shield of California Foundation Awards $1.32 Million to Support the Immediate Health and Safety of Vulnerable Californians
San Francisco, CA (February 6, 2017) - Blue Shield of California Foundation announced today $1.32 million to support nine organizations as part of the first phase of its “Act Now” fund, a rapid-response grantmaking initiative to support the health and safety of the Californians most in need. Given the dynamic policy landscape, the Foundation is funding key partners who are working to protect recent gains in health care and domestic violence prevention and urging them to push for innovative and enduring solutions to address these complex issues.
“Act Now” will support organizations that are aligned with the Foundation’s mission and values, are actively engaged in supporting vulnerable populations, and uphold many of the essential priorities that remain at the heart of the Foundation’s work, specifically:
- Medi-Cal expansion and access to coverage for immigrant populations;
- Innovation within the healthcare safety net, driven by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA);
- Person- and community-centered approaches to health and violence prevention; and
- Cross-sector approaches to identify and address domestic violence.
All “Act Now” grant recipients are recognized leaders, spanning the areas of advocacy, community organizing, network building, strategic communications, policy, and research. Each organization has a track record of engaging local communities to affect positive change through approaches that are grounded in trust and focused on the needs and experiences of the people they serve. The Foundation is proud to partner with these organizations to help maintain the critical progress that has been made in our great state, and to encourage ongoing collaboration as we work to achieve a California in which everyone has what they need to be healthy and safe.
Within the current social and political environment, our ability to improve the lives of vulnerable communities will depend upon our willingness to collectively organize to face the challenges ahead. Blue Shield of California Foundation remains a steadfast partner as we move forward, together.
“Act Now” fund recipients include:
- California Immigrant Policy Center, a project of Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Los Angeles
- California Pan-Ethnic Health Network
- California Primary Care Association
- Council on American-Islamic Relations, California
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- National Health Law Program
- San Joaquin Valley Health Fund, a program of Sierra Health Foundation Center for Health
- The Children's Partnership
- Western Center on Law and Poverty, Inc.
About Blue Shield of California Foundation
Blue Shield of California Foundation is one of the state's largest and most trusted grantmaking organizations. Our mission is to improve the lives of all Californians, particularly the underserved, by making health care accessible, effective, and affordable, and by ending domestic violence. For more information, visit: www.blueshieldcafoundation.org.
Foundation Contact: Christine.Maulhardt [at] Blueshieldcafoundation.org (Christine Maulhardt) 415.229.6145